Love that commute
I have visited Alberta many times, and it is cold! My trips have been at all times of the year, and I was surprised at how chilly the weather is, even in the middle of summer! Sure there are warm days, but for the most part my trips have been filled with cold and wind, and a definite need for a sweater!
Before my trip I looked at theweathernetwork.com and the Environment Canada websites for information as to what to expect, and both gave semi-helpful information. I say semi-helpful because the "suggested" high temperature that was given for each day was never hit! At least I knew when to expect rain or wind, both of which I saw a lot of.
I lucked out one trip and experienced a famed Chinook in southern Alberta! Talk about wind!
Note to travellers: if you are looking to travel to Alberta, pay attention to weather warnings! When it is windy there, it is VERY windy!
Even though the weather was not always what I would have liked to be experiencing, I would definitely travel to Alberta again. I have been to colder places that are a lot less appealing (like Alaska!) and would take Alberta over them any day!Barry's Response
- Well, you gotta take the good with the bad. As often as not, the actual temps are higher than the forecast.
What's the best way to find weather warnings?
You can find these instructions on the environment Canada page. Search
this site for more information now.
Hello, concerned visitor!
Barry here to ease your weather worries. Coming from a warmer place to Alberta's climate can be a bit intimidating. But don't worry! Here's some weather advice:
- Layer up like a smart person! Dress in layers
in Alberta because the weather can be unpredictable. Put on a light base layer, a cozy sweater or jacket, and a waterproof outer layer. So you can adjust your clothes as the weather changes.
- Don't underestimate the power of accessories. Make sure you've got your hat, gloves, and scarf! You can keep warm and cozy
with these small but mighty accessories, especially when the winds start blowing. Plus, they're stylish!
- Be prepared by checking the forecast.
Check reliable sources like local weather websites or apps to stay informed. You'll know if you need an umbrella, snow boots, or sunscreen based on the weather. Alberta's weather keeps us on our toes!
- Keep hydrated, my friend. It's easy to forget about hydration when the weather gets cold, but it's just as important. Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water and packing a reusable water bottle.
- Enjoy Alberta's diverse weather. The weather might be colder than you're used to, but Alberta has breathtaking landscapes
all year round. Every weather condition has its own charm, from snowy mountains to sunny prairies. Take a walk outside and discover Alberta's wonders!
The weather in Alberta might be different from what you're used to, but with the right mindset and a little preparation, you'll have a blast. So bundle up, stay curious, and watch Alberta's weather unfold. Have a great time and safe travels!