*** 20th Anniversary: 2003 to 2023 ***
Search for more about ecology.
The great wilderness. Limnology. Rain forests. Ichthyology. Meteorology. Topography. Botany.
What's the connection between these ecological concepts? Forestry, of course. Woods and vegetation all over the world affect air quality and viceversa.
Forestry brings them all together. Some forests get a lot of rain, making them one of the planet's richest ecosystems.
We've got tropical and temperate rainforests. The tropical forests are in equatorial countries like Indonesia, neighboring nations in Asia, northern Australia, several in central Africa, and more in South America. Rain forests are also common on tropical islands. There are temperate rainforests all over the world. Places with a lot of rain. For instance, Northwest North America.
Also, they cover parts of Europe, temperate Asia, and Oceania. What's a snowforest?
What's the best discipline for studying forests? It's forestry, of course. We learn how to manage our forests here. Foresters might work in silviculture (maintaining forests for optimum use) if we're into trees.
Here is a brief overview of each of those disciplines listed above:
- Limnology is the study of freshwater ecosystems, like lakes, rivers, and wetlands. In these ecosystems, researchers study physical, chemical, and biological processes, including how aquatic organisms interact.
- Rain forests are complex ecosystems with lots of plants and animals. Rain forests are studied for their ecology, biodiversity, and impacts of human activities.
- Ichthyology: The study of fish, including their biology, behavior, and ecology. Fish biologists study the diversity of fish species, their roles in aquatic ecosystems, and how human activities affect them.
- Meteorology studies the Earth's atmosphere, including weather patterns, climate, and atmospheric conditions. In order to understand and predict weather events like hurricanes, tornadoes, and thunderstorms, meteorologists use scientific techniques.
- The study of topography is about the physical features of the earth's surface, like mountains, valleys, and plains. Topographers study and map the Earth's terrain using maps, aerial photos, and satellite imagery.
- The study of plants, including their structure, function, and evolution, is called botany. A botanist studies plants, their interactions with other organisms, and how they affect the environment.
Keep the forest healthy. They make it a wildlife habitat, a giant water purifier, and a commercial wood source. The forests are great for camping and recreation, natural beauty, economic resource, and maybe carbon dioxide sequestration.
Forest environmental consultants provide forest management-related environmental services. These consultants do things like:
- An environmental impact assessment evaluates the potential effects of forest management activities on the environment, like soil erosion, water quality, and wildlife habitats.
- Inventory and mapping forest resources: Collecting and analyzing data about tree species, age, size, and density so you can create maps and manage them better.
- This involves assessing forest management practices against standards like the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) and the Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification (PEFC) and certifying companies that meet them.
- Manage forests in a way that maintains ecological, social, and economic sustainability.
- Offsetting carbon emissions: Calculating how much carbon dioxide forests absorb and selling carbon credits to companies and individuals.
- Conservation of biodiversity: This involves protecting and enhancing forests' biodiversity, including preserving rare and endangered species.
There are some environmental problems that require expertise from many different fields. We offer interdisciplinary courses in environmental applications at our universities.
Situations like these can involve ground water contamination, well contamination, and surface water pollution. Engineers work with soils, air, wildlife, and vegetation.
Our temperate and deciduous forests and other wetlands can be influenced by these factors for many miles. Since there's no established way to deal with them, innovative solutions are often needed.
It takes a lot of work to plan a project:
In order to solve these problems, specialized knowledge in science, engineering, law, and even public relations is needed. Basically, a forest environmental consultancy helps manage and conserve forest resources and ecosystems sustainably.
What does and air quality consultancy do? Read about it here.
What's the worst you've seen? Anything you need to let us know about? Maybe even a picture to demonstrate what you saw. You can send it to StuffInTheAir.com right here.
This is important.
Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page...
Storm Drains Carry All Of Our Life's Blood
Aloha: Way too many people have no idea what a storm drain is for... The only purpose for storm drains is to take the rain water away from out homes, …
Under prepared to manage our resources
For the most part colleges forget about our natural environment and push technology and development to our up-and-coming generations. The new generations …
We can't live surrounded only by concrete and steel. We MUST protect the nature as it is. No forests, no trees. No trees, no oxygen. The nature is not …
Fraser Island Rainforest
In Northern Australia, I visited Fraser Island, which is World Heritage Listed due to the many different habitats that are available on the island. …
I witnessed large areas of clear-cut forest during the time (1997-2001) I lived in Vancouver, BC, and took a drive up to Whistler. Although they tried …
Rainforests in Indonesia
Rainforests in Indonesia contain thousands of animals and plants, and many more that have not been identified. There are rainforests in Sumatra, Borneo, …
Northern California Lumber Industry
In the Humboldt area, the logging industry has been cutting down old growth trees. However they tend to leave trees by the freeway uncut so that people …
Rain Forests and Coffee
What do you know about changes in our rain forests?!? Are big coffee corporations cutting down our forests to grow their crops?! I need to know. The world …
In Virginia, the forest is everywhere. Much of it has been clear-cut to make way for development, but in the untouched parts, the forests still thrive. …
The topography, terrain, climate and vegetation, of India bring out diversity that don't exist anywhere else. The people take pride in their forests. …
Teaching the Rainforest
I have never visited a dense lush forest. However, I would love to in the future. I am a Kindergarten school teacher, therefore, I teach my students …
God in nature Nature is Forest.
Rainforests typically see up to a hundred inches of rain each year, in the order of 2000 or more millimetres. Because of the warm temperatures and abundant …
Protect our vitally important resource
The rain forests of the world are like the lungs of the planet. They are also home to thousands of species, vital to our eco-system. With deforestation …
Air pollution statistics
Can you please provide me with information regarding air pollution statistics in G8 countries? Ideally, I ould appreciate if I could get hold of the …
Its all icky and sticky Barry's Response - Let me see if I can help, Sam. We use humidity to refer to the quantity of water vapour in the air. …
a) Have you ever visited a dense lush forest? - Yes in Equador b) Do you know firsthand of any environmental destruction such as clear …
Keep the Forests!
We used to have a forest right behind our house when we were growing up, and we all loved to play in it. It had mulberry trees, and trails, and it was …
A Rich and Diverse Community That is in Danger of Being Destroyed
The rain forests of the world are really quite rich in their beauty, diversity and value to humanity. There are so many exotic and incredible species of …
My Rainforest Experience
I have visited both tropical and temperate Rain forests and I find it so appalling that they are being cut down. I've visited temperate Rain forests in …
More Rain Forests
I have never seen something like that before. I can not believe that picture. We need to save our rain forests. We need to set up a system to start …
Tieing It All Together The Rain Forest.
This article is an overview of what exactly the rain forest is. It discuses what actually defines a rain forest and where they are typically located. …
Have you completed your studies? On the Environmental Health And Safety Jobs page, you'll find perfect Environmental Health And Safety Jobs. Or visit the Stuff in the
Search this site for more information now.
What are the effects of rain forests on humans?
What is the purpose of studying forestry? The landscape consists of temperate deciduous forests, coniferous rain forests, wilderness, air, and water. Find out where forestry graduates are employed.
Do you have concerns about air pollution in your area??
Perhaps modelling air pollution will provide the answers to your question.
That is what I do on a full-time basis. Find out if it is necessary for your project.
Have your Say...
on the StuffintheAir facebook page
Other topics listed in these guides:
The Stuff in the Air Site Map
Thank you to my research and writing assistants, ChatGPT and WordTune, as well as Wombo for the images.
New! CommentsDo you like what you see here? Please let us know in the box below.